There’s nothing like the taste of a perfectly grilled steak, but not everyone has the luxury of an outdoor grill.
No problem! You can get that perfect charred flavor indoors with one of these five indoor grills. They’re all easy to use and come with a variety of features, so you’re sure to find the perfect one for your needs.
Grilled steak is the best, and now you can have it anytime you want with one of these indoor grills. They’re perfect for any time of year, so you can always enjoy that delicious grilled flavor no matter what the weather is like outside.
If you’re looking for an indoor grill that can give your steak that perfect charred flavor (like a Cuisinart Griddler), then check out our list of the 5 best indoor grills for steak.
Best Indoor Grills for Steak
1. Hamilton Beach Electric Indoor Searing Grill
- Locks in juices and flavors: Sear at 450 degrees or use adjustable temperature dial to grill at lower heat for optimal grilling results.
- Enjoy grilling all year long: This indoor grill with hood has a high searing heat that locks in juices and flavors, and lid closes to give you signature grill marks. Serves up to 6 with 118 square-inch grilling surface.
- Keep an eye on your food: This indoor grill with hood comes with a convenient window in lid lets you watch food cook while keeping heat inside.
- Easy to clean: Indoor grill hood, plate, and extra-large drip tray are all removable and dishwasher safe.
- Less mess: Extra-large drip tray catches juices so they don't spill on your counter and it's dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.
- Power and preheat lights: Eliminate guesswork while using your electric grill.
- Cooks more than steaks, BBQ and burgers: Grill chicken, fish, pizza, vegetables, fruit and more. Also great for Paleo and Keto diets.
- Powerful 1200 watts and 1 year limited warranty.
- Dimensions: 12.4" L x 16.7" W x 6.8" H
Hamilton Beach Electric Indoor Searing Grill is a great choice for anyone who wants to grill steak indoors. It has a high searing heat that locks in juices and flavors, and the lid closes to give you signature grill marks. The grill also comes with a convenient window in the lid that lets you watch food cook while keeping heat inside. It’s easy to clean – all removable parts are dishwasher safe. And it cooks more than just steaks – chicken, fish, pizza, vegetables, fruit, etc.
Cooking steaks on this indoor electric grill is easy. First, heat the grill to “sear” and wait for the ready light. Then, use the searing plate to sear the steak for 30 seconds on each side. After that, drop the heat to 350 degrees and grill for 2 1/2 minutes on each side. Let the steaks rest for 2 minutes on a warm platter or cutting board before serving.
2. Gotham Steel Smokeless Grill, Indoor Grill
- INDOOR SMOKELES GRILL – enjoy your favorite grilled foods anytime you want with the Gotham Steel Indoor Smokeless Grill inside the house – think grilled steak, bacon, fish, kabobs, pork chops, burgers, chicken and more to perfection, year-round – just plug in, adjust the heat and you are ready to go!
- SMOKE-LESS TECHNOLOGY - this indoor smokeless grill has a mindfully designed drip tray which cools all grease quickly and reduces virtually all hot smoke, allowing you to grill all your food indoors without the smell of smoke polluting your apartment or home.
- EVEN HEATING - the heating element is spread across the surface to ensure that every area of the grill is heated evenly.
- TEMERATURE CONTROL - adjustable temperature dial that maintains perfect heat across the entire surface for perfect grilling every time.
- ULTRA NON-STICK – The nonstick cooking surface is coated 3x, reinforced with ceramic and titanium to deliver the ultimate food release. No oil or butter needed, makes for healthier eating, and provides for hassle free, 1-2-3 cleanup.
- METAUL UTENSIL SAFE – The coating of the surface is durable enough to withstand metal spatulas, spoons, whisks and more, while the aluminum exterior is dense, nonporous, and highly wear-resistant for long lasting performance
- DISHWASHER SAFE – spend less time with cleanup! After all the cooking and prepping is done, place grill plate in the dishwasher for quick and easy cleanup
- HEALTHY & NONTOXIC – all Gotham Steel products are 100% free of PFOA, lead, cadmium &n other harmful chemicals
The Gotham Steel Smokeless Grill is a great way to cook your favorite grilled foods indoors. The smokeless technology ensures that there is little to no smoke, while the even heating distributes heat evenly across the grill. You can also adjust the temperature to get the perfect grilling every time. The ultra non-stick surface means that there is no need for oil or butter, and makes for easy cleanup. The metal utensil-safe coating means that you can use metal spatulas, spoons, whisks, and more without damaging the cooking surface. The dishwasher-safe grill plate makes cleanup even easier. Finally, all Gotham Steel products are 100% free of harmful chemicals like PFOA, lead, cadmium, and more.
3. T-fal OptiGrill XL Large Indoor Electric Grill
- Powerful 1800 watt electric indoor grill cooks food automatically based on thickness of food and program selected
- 9 auto cooking programs: Burger, Poultry, Sandwich, Sausage, Red Meat, Fish, Pork, Bacon and Shellfish. Handle Thermoplastic
- Preheating/ready indicator light; indicator light and audible beeps for rare, medium and well done make it easy to monitor the cooking progress
- Frozen mode for cooking frozen food; Manual mode with 4 temperature settings for cooking vegetables or personal recipes. Power cord length - 0.8 m
- Ergonomic control panel on handle; die cast aluminum nonstick plates for effortless food release; dishwasher safe drip tray and plates; recipe book included
The T-fal OptiGrill XL Large Indoor Electric Grill is a powerful 1800 watt electric indoor grill that cooks food automatically based on the thickness of the food and the program selected. It has 9 auto cooking programs, including Burger, Poultry, Sandwich, Sausage, Red Meat, Fish, Pork, Bacon, and Shellfish. The handle thermoplastic ensures a comfortable grip while cooking. The preheating/ready indicator light; indicator light and audible beeps for rare, medium, and well done make it easy to monitor the cooking progress. There is also a frozen mode for cooking frozen food and a manual mode with 4 temperature settings for cooking vegetables or personal recipes. The power cord length is 0.8 m. The ergonomic control panel is on the handle; the die-cast aluminum nonstick plates ensure effortless food release, and they are dishwasher safe. The unit also comes with a drip tray and plates, as well as a recipe book.
See the difference between the OptiGrill vs OptiGrill+
4. Gemelli Home Gourmet Steak Grille
- STEAKHOUSE QUALITY: Cook perfect steaks in minutes with the Gemelli Home Gourmet Steak Grille! The high heat ensures a perfect sear and caramelized finish while keeping the inside juicy. But it isn’t just for steaks – use the steakhouse style grill to make delicious fish and yummy veggies. It perfectly fits 2 filets or 1 large ribeye and cooks in just minutes! Interior Dimensions: D:14in, W:10in, H:13.75in. | Rated Amp: 13.3A
- INFRARED SUPERHEATING: The Gemelli Home Gourmet Steak Grille features infrared ceramic superheating elements that heat up to 1560ºF in less than 5 minutes! That’s hotter than any other grill on the market. The high temps allow you to quickly and evenly cook your food without losing flavor or juiciness while using gas-free, electric elements.
- COOL TOUCH EXTERIOR: Designed with safety in mind, the steak grill has a cool touch exterior so it’s safe to use in your kitchen. While cooking, the exterior casing will not heat up and it’s safe to use on all counter surfaces.
- EASY TO USE & DISHWASHER SAFE: The single dial is used to set the time and temperature making it super quick and easy to use. And, all removable accessories of the Gemelli Home Gourmet Steak Grille are dishwasher safe. The interior can be wiped down with a cloth after it has completely cooled.
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: Electric Steak Grill, 1 Grill Rack, 1 Concave Grill Rack – perfect for veggies and round roasts, 1 Cooling Rack, 1 Handle, 2 Drip Trays, Time and Temperature Guide, 11 Recipes.
Do you love steak?
Do you miss the taste of a delicious steakhouse meal but don’t want to travel to one or spend hours cooking at home? The Gemelli Home Gourmet Steak Grille is the perfect solution for those who crave steak! It features infrared ceramic superheating elements that heat up to 1560ºF in less than 5 minutes. That means your food will cook as quickly and evenly as possible without losing flavor or juiciness. Plus, it comes with all sorts of accessories including an electric grill, 1 grill rack, 1 concave grill rack – perfect for veggies and round roasts, 1 cool-touch exterior, and more! You can use this versatile appliance on any countertops and in any kitchen. It’s dishwasher safe and comes with an easy-to-use temperature dial so anyone in the house can cook steakhouse quality meals with ease!
But wait, there’s more! This affordable fusion grill is also extremely stylish and adds a touch of sophistication to your home. The white finish makes it perfect for any kitchen and you can leave it out on your countertop thanks to the cool-touch exterior.
5. ChefWave Sosaku Smokeless Indoor Grill
- SMOKELESS INFRARED TECHNOLOGY: Infrared heating technology produces 80% less smoke than other electric grills, resulting in a virtually smokeless product that grills to perfection.
- VERSATILE: This 5-in-1 indoor BBQ grill comes with a rotisserie spit with 2 forks, a kebab set with 7 skewers & 2 round plates, a fish basket, a fries cage, a grill rack and a drip tray.
- COOKING PERFECTION: Heats up in minutes and leaves foods evenly seared and juicy. Roasts whole chicken; also perfect for steak, hamburgers, salmon, vegetables, kebabs & more!
- EASY TO USE: Built to last, this grill features a stainless steel body and a large 9" x 13" grilling space. Plus, easy to use controls to adjust the temperature, set a timer or choose between the rotisserie & grill functions.
- CHEFWAVE WARRANTY: Includes ChefWave 1-year limited warranty. ETL Certified.
The ChefWave Sosaku Smokeless Indoor Grill is one of the best indoor grills on the market and perfect for grilling steaks. It has a smokeless infrared technology that produces 80% less smoke than other electric grills, leaving foods evenly seared and juicy. The grill also has a rotisserie spit with 2 forks, a kebab set with 7 skewers & 2 round plates, a fish basket, a fries cage, a grill rack, and a drip tray.
How to get a Perfectly Cooked Steak on Electric Grill
Cooking is a steak on an electric indoor grill is not that different than cooking steak on outdoor charcoal and gas grills. Here is a quick tutorial on how to cook a steak on an electric grill:
- Prepare the steak for grilling – In order to grill a steak, it is important to first prepare it by seasoning it and spraying it with oil. The steak can be of any cut, but tougher cuts of meat need to be marinated for a few hours before grilling.
- The second step is to preheat the grill by setting it to 425 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes. You can wait until you see smoke from the grill, or if your electric grill has a red ready light that alerts you when the grill is ready for the steak, the better! You can also confirm if the grill is ready for cooking by adding a few drops of water on the skillet, if they sizzle and create beads, your grill is ready.
- When grilling steak on an electric grill, the most important factors to consider are the thickness and cut of the steak, as well as the temperature of the grill. The recommended size of a steak is 1 inch, and for this size, the ideal temperature is 425 degrees Fahrenheit. The steak should be cooked depending on how you like it – for medium-rare, it would take 5 minutes, while well done would take 8-10 minutes. If using one skillet, you’ll have to flip the steak at least once.
- The 4th step is to check the temperature of the meat by utilizing a dial thermometer or a digital thermometer. You should place the tip of the digital thermometer into the steak while avoiding the bone. It’s important to research how long an electric grill will take to cook the steak, as this varies depending on the model.
- The 5th step is to let the steak rest for about 5 to 10 minutes. This will allow the steak to absorb the flavors and give it a better taste.
Steak Temperatures for Indoor Grills
Keep an eye on the internal temperature of your meat thermometer as you cook steak indoors on your electric grill since this affects the doneness. Here’s a fast guide to what temperatures to aim for depending on how well done you want your meat:
A steak cooked to “rare” is quite distinct from one that is “raw.” The chef will season the steak and put it on the grill. On the outside, the meat will be brown, but still very soft on inside. The center will remain cool to the tongue.
Medium Rare (130°-140°F)
A medium-rare steak will be heated through in the center. On the outside, the steak will harden up but remain very soft and delicate in the middle. Around the edge of the steak, a small pink ring will begin to form, but it will still be mostly red in the center.
A steak cooked “medium” will be mostly pink. A small ring of grey may form on the outside and a strip of red will remain in the center. For steaks with more marbling, this will be the temperature where the fat begins to liquefy and add flavor.
Medium Well (150°-160°F)
When a steak has attained “medium well,” it will have become very firm. The steak will be mostly grey with only a sliver of pink in the center. As fat begins to liquefy, cuts with more marbling shrink.
Well (Over 160°F)
The entire surface of a well-done steak will be grey. It will be quite firm, with the majority of the juices have cooked out. The steak’s size will have decreased significantly because of most of its fat and water being removed.
Best Cuts of Steak for an Indoor Grill
Some of the best steak cuts to try on your indoor grill include:
- Flat Iron Steak
- Filet Mignon
- Strip Steak
- Chuck Eye Steak
- Petite Sirloin Steak
- Top Sirloin
- Flank Steak
- Ribeye Steak
Here’s a useful resource from American Foods Group that ranks which steak cuts should be cooked by which method (Grill vs pan) to get a flavorful and tender steak.
Conclusion: Best Indoor Grills for Steaks
If you are looking for the best indoor grills to steak, look no further. We’ve compiled a list of 5 different options that will make your steaks taste like they were cooked at any high-end restaurant!
- Use it for fun or serious cooking
- Choose from innovative technologies such as infrared and gas to get the best steak out there
- Cook twice as fast as an outdoor grill
- Save time and money by buying one that allows you to cook your meat without all of the hassles.
Grilling is a lot of work, and it can be hard to get the perfect steak.
If you’re tired of cooking your steaks on an outdoor grill that takes forever or doesn’t produce the best results, then we have just what you need! We’ve compiled a list of 5 different options for indoor grills that will make your steaks taste like they were cooked at any high-end restaurant!
Our list includes innovative technologies such as infrared and gas to give you the best steak out there. Cook twice as fast as an outdoor grill with one of these units and save time and money by buying one that allows you to cook your meat without all the hassles.
FAQ about Cooking Steak on Electric Grill
What temperature do you cook a steak on an electric grill?
The most important thing to remember is that the closer you are to medium, the less chance you have of overcooking your steak. Even if you prefer your meat well done, it’s still best to cook at a lower temperature for the middle part of the cooking process.
How long do I cook a steak with an electric grill?
It usually takes about 4 to 6 minutes for your steak to reach medium-well with an electric grill, but cooking times will vary from grill to grill. Make sure to pay attention to the internal temperature to avoid burning your steak.
Are electric grills good for steaks?
The way that electric grills are built to heat means that you’re likely to get the same quality of steak as if you were cooking it on your stove. You can adjust the temperature based on how well you want the meat done, so it’s definitely a good option for steaks.
Do steaks taste the same on an electric grill?
Even though you can’t get the smoky flavor from an electric grill, your steak will still taste great and it’s a much faster alternative to cooking outdoors.